Ads

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

We are universal



I can't wait for the first half of tomorrow to be over and maybe then, I'd start blogging with a little more happy zest for life. And maybe add a stash of photos. We'll see. I've got to upload the photos from over the weekend - Ron's first try at celebrating Hari Raya/Eid'ul Fitr, complete in his own bright coloured Baju Melayu, looking very fine indeed. Everyone said he could pass off as a Malay. His appearance not only succeeded in fooling the Europeans, but also a few locals who thought he was a Chinese-looking Malay guy.

Aren't we all like chameleons sometimes? Arabs passing off as Americans or Europeans (you might think this sounds strange, but putting aside the stereotypical idea of an Arab man in a turban and white robe-y get up, you'll see what I mean). Albinos passing off as White guys with smaller eyes. (Haha, I think I read a celebrity saying that somewhere.) South Americans passing off as Southeast Asians and vice versa. (I'm speaking from my own experience) Myself mistaken as a French, Italian, Spanish, Columbian or Venezuelan while in Europe, and Thai, Filipino while in Asia. How universal. People just link your looks to something that's most familiar to them. Most people who have mistaken my identity, were all... pretty unfamiliar with how Malays look like.

Just like my lack of exposure to the various nationalities and races in the West, for the most part of my earlier years, has caused me the occasional confusion on who's who. I am still pretty much inept at pointing out the mild stereotypical differences between an Eastern European from a West European. And the posh Irish accent still sounds like an English accent to me, while the Cork accent sounds similar to the Scottish. I've always enjoyed nudging Riyan repeatedly (and as annoyingly as I can) and whispering in his ear "Ahah! Belfast? Cork? North England? Polish?" in spite of being wrong on most counts. It doesn't put me down at all. It only makes me more determined to keep trying my luck (or rather, annoying Riyan out of his wits). Ahh, the feeling's gratifying. One of my hobbies in Ireland, as you have to come to learn. Sadly, I don't have as much things to entertain myself with while I'm there, as compared to when I'm here in Singapore. Perhaps one day, when the transport systems get much more accessible there or when one of us is able to drive, I might pick up a new 'hobby'.

No comments: