Ads

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Micro-blogging


Twitter is seriously making it difficult to blog long thoughtful coherent posts anymore.

I never knew I could ever talk in short sentences online. I'm all for the details, I lap it all up, but lately, with the existence of Facebook statuses, Twitter and the equivalent, it seems like the attention span of people on the internet is decreasing, including mine.

In the first place, lots of people are resorting to internet journalism instead of the good old print newspaper and the articles online are always encouraged to be as succinct as they possibly can be. From "Ireland is losing (insert specific amount) of money and increasing debt due to (insert various reasons), and the few ways they're attempting to deal with it is by (insert solutions)", it's now enough to just say "Ireland's losing lots of money".

At least the message is more accessible with the Internet and micro-blogging but are the information enough material to build your opinions on the particular subject matters? Because most people end up just skimming through the statuses and Twitter updates and not bothering to read up on the issues more, and in the end the only message they get is "Russia causing problems" and have that little thought lingering in their minds, and forming unjust opinions on Russians. Just another example.

That's a whole long thought process I totally typed out as I speak (in my mind). I hope it makes sense to you anyway. You can catch my random spurts of little thoughts on Twitter (link on the right).

No comments: