Ads

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ahhhhhhhh....!!!



That was probably what I was thinking for most of the trip back to Singapore. It's one of the most eventful trips I ever had on planes in general.

So I got to the airport just on time to hug R and his parents goodbye. Then I realised my gate is farrrrr away and I had to rush all the way down to the new gates. What a waste of effort because the plane wasn't even there yet. Then the screen changed from "gate opening" to "delayed". I knew I had one and half hours to spare for my connecting flight in Amsterdam so I took it easy. People around me started being cranky, complaining at the desk - Nobody provided any explanations.

Finally, the plane came and we got whisked off to Amsterdam. The moment the plane doors opened, people started running out. So I decided I should just rush along with them. Haha. Then I realised, while rushing, that Amsterdam is one hour ahead of Ireland so technically, I didn't have much time at all to catch my flight back to Singapore. So I started running with my heavy backpack. I felt like dying at one point when I realised my gate is at the other end of the airport. I caught a glimpse of the gate details on the boards - Mine read "Gate closing". I rushed like a mad bitch, yes I did. I caught the plane.

Only to have the plane taxi off to the take off zone and stop moving completely. The captain then announced that the Control Tower has denied all requests for take off for all flights due to the storm raging outside. So that's what all the noisy pitter patter sounds were. By this time, you couldn't see anything out the windows. The rain lightened up an hour later. (Yes, we waited an hour in the plane doing nothing. I felt so restless) And the captain announced for the cabin crew to prepare for take off.

Yay, on the way back finally. Everything's fine again. Then there was a turbulence. Not the usual sort that I've experienced but this one felt like I was on a rollercoaster ride. So I guessed that was the point of time the plane probably had to make a steeper-than-usual dive or something. It made certain people screamed a bit. I freaked out. That was the time I remembered really praying for R to appear right next to me. Thankfully, it was just a short while that we were shaken around in our seat. And the journey continued on.

Stewardess served me hot tea. Only to knock it over with her coat by accident. My blanket (which was provided by the airline), along with a bit of my top and cardigan was soaked with hot tea. Stewardess apologised and offered to dry my cardigan in the cabin crew. They all seemed very nice so I wasn't in the least bit mad, actually. I just thought my luck must have nosedived the moment I left Ireland.

But I had good company on the plane - an elderly Australian couple, sitting next to me. They gave me lots of moisturing wipes during the flight. Nice people, or maybe my skin looked terribly cracked and they wanted to be polite about it. So yes.

That's my terribly boring explanation of the exciting things that happened to me on my trip back.

No comments: